Search This Blog

"World Peace" When We Can't Even Agree on the Shape of Electrical Plugs!??!!

22 September 2008


*** WARNING: RANT!!!
***

I was so pissed when I discovered that I forgot to pack my U.K. electrical adapter. In the U.K. (and countries like Singapore, Hong Kong and countries in Africa) electrical plugs are in the shape of 3 square prongs (not 2 round prongs like the rest of Europe and parts of Asia or 2 flat prongs at an angle like in Oz and New Zealand) and electric current is 220V (110V for us in the U.S.A.). Granted, most electrical devices these days allow for multi-current input, but the fact that the shape of electrical plugs in these regions are different makes for some serious head-scratching and some controlled breathing. If the world can't agree on the shape of electircal plugs, I'm less optimistic about world peace! I just don't get it!

So here I am visiting relatives in South Jersey (before continuing on to the U.K.), in the Cherry Hill township, shopping feverishly for an electrical adapter I can use in the U.K. Finding some at the local Target but warning me that it should not be used for electrical devices like my laptop that require more than 2.5A, or finding that the Radio Shack has all but the one that I need in stock. After an exhaustive search, I finally find one in an Office Depot at the strip mall selling an "all-in-one adapter" for a hefty $25 (I only need the U.K. one for effs sake!) !!! ugh! There goes a second serving of fish n' chips!

*** END RANT ***

1 comments:

Shirls said...

Hi, it's good to hear from you... I look forward to reading about your travels... Take care and have a great time...

I miss you!