Search This Blog

Drindls and Lederhosens and Beer Steins Clanking

09 November 2011

Chinese Tower at the English Garden, Munich. There was a brass band playing, people dancing, dirndls and lederhosens, and beer steins clanking in toasts of merriment and cheer. I am not sure if this is a daily occurrence in the summer in front of the Chinese Tower at the English Garden or just a carry over from the Kocherlball, the Cooks Balls, that take place every third Sunday in July (the Sunday that we were there) and started at 5AM that morning (this was taken past noon) where party goers come in traditional costume dressed as servants and kitchenstaff (who were the original Kocherlball merrymakers) . Whatever the case, I am glad I got to see some form of Bavarian beer garden celebration as I have yet to be lucky enough to attend an Oktoberfest. Perhaps I need to get fitted for my very own lederhosen to make that dream come true? :)

Special thanks to Dada Masa for showing my family around Munich and taking us to the English Garden for some hearty/heavy Bavarian-inspired lunch of backhandle (roasted chicken), schweinsaxe (rosted pork hocks/knuckles), bratwurst, bretzel, brotzeitteller (cold cuts and cucumber in a vinegar-based dressing LOVED THIS), and bread (Did I get it all correctly, Dada? LOL).
Copyright: Joel A. Marbella

0 comments: