Search This Blog

"Sir Richard Branson I presume?".
"Pleased to make your acquaintance."

15 October 2009

between (and including) San Francisco International Airport and London Heathrow

I do not think I have ever been more excited about getting on a plane than I was when boarding this flight from San Francisco to London on Virgin Atlantic. Don't get me wrong, I love me any destination, but flying has always been the "necessary evil" to getting there. Unless you fly business- or first-class every trip (I have a few (too few, too few) times, which makes flying economy worse; when you've had a little taste of heaven, hell becomes a lot more hellish), we have all endured narrow seats, a sliver of legroom, not fit for late night in-flight entertainment, and meals that make vending machine food look like haute cuisine. The allure of travel has never been about boarding a plane and the several or so hours in between before being able to (thankfully) disembark. I've heard good things about Virgin Atlantic, and Sir Richard Branson, the owner, is something of a maverick and someone I actually admire, so I was hoping some of his character is found in his airlines and service. Having found a ridiculously good deal on airfare, I was even more looking forward to boarding flight VS020 from SFO to LHR (you know how things have the perception of having more value when you know you got a good deal).

0 comments: