Search This Blog

"Blo-o-ogging killed the po-o-ostcard" (sung to the tune of "Video killed the Radio Star")

02 October 2008

LONDON, England, U.K.

After I dropped a few postcards in the mailbox today, I suddenly realized that it was becoming more and more apparent that with the advent of digital cameras, the internet, email, blogging, online travel communities, social networking sites, and even the cellphone, I personally am receiving fewer postcards. Technology has come to a point where you can share your vacation photos and travel experiences almost immediately. So instead of being pleasantly surprised at receiving a postcard in the mailbox (with a message written just for me), I get a rather distant email with a link to an online gallery of vacation photos. Even though I have access to all of the above, I still try to send out a few postcards on every trip. I just find it more personal and it allows me to experience the elation of finding the perfect postcard, one that has relevance and a connection to both me and the person I am sending the postcard to and write a private note that ties it all together. Getting a postcard in the mail is like telling the recipient that "Hey, I am thinking of you on this trip, I wish you were here sharing it with me." It is unfortunate that "innovation" is making that personal connection fewer and far between.

0 comments: