Search This Blog

The Surgeon General Needs to Come to Southeast Asia

17 November 2007

We went to a 7-11 along Orchard Road in Singapore to buy some bottled water. We got to the register and I immediately noticed the packs of cigarettes behind the counter because pictures were prominently featured on the packs. I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing at first, then to my horror I began to slowly make out what they were. The images depicted the hazzards of cigarette smoking. The Surgeon General's Warning plastered on cigarette packs back in the states pale in comparison to what they have here in Singapore and Thailand.

I wanted to get a few packs of cigarettes for my smoker friends back home who I care about, but the cost was prohibitive (and it felt kind of wrong buying cigs). My father passed away a couple of years ago at the relatively young age (to die) of 61, because of complications from lung cancer due to cigarette smoking, so I know the dangers first-hand and have seen what can result from it. My father's deterioration wasn't a pretty sight and painful for him and us as well, the people who love him. I wouldn't wish what my father went through on anyone, even people I dislike.

I ended up taking pictures of the cigarette packs instead. I have more pics, I counted 5-6 different images on the packs.

0 comments: